A rich cup of coffee is needed by all of us in the morning to freshen up and carry out all the duties of a day with energy and enthusiasm. Many types and different flavours of coffee are available in the market, but the one that really serves the purpose of waking you up in the morning and boost you with energy is the dark roast coffee.
But what is dark roast coffee, and what is so special about dark roast? Let’s find out:
Why Is It Called Dark Roast Coffee?
It is called dark roast coffee because its beans are roasted longer than any other type of coffee. In other words, when you roast dark coffee beans, you can hear the sound of cracking and popping for a more extended period.
The coffee roasting process has evolved with time and is now practiced using advanced technology, but still, we depend on our senses of sound, smell and sight to get the ideal roast. There are three different roasting degrees i-e light, medium and dark roast.
Among these three, the most common roast level is the dark roast. Coffee drinkers from all over the world prefer dark roast coffee, and it is considered a superior option.
The Aromatic Flavors Of Dark Roast Coffee
Dark roast coffee flavours are dense as well as balanced. They have a strong aroma and chocolaty flavour with the right amount of bitterness that is loved by all, especially on those chilly winter mornings or nights. Here you have a list of all dark coffee flavours to choose from;
- Creamy caramel
- Maple syrup
- Fresh cola
- Dark chocolate
- Peanut butter
Prominent Features Of Dark Roast Coffee
Dark roast coffee is bold and rich in taste. It is full of body and texture too. In addition to that, dark roast coffee beans are oilier, which sometimes leads to a bittersweet or toasty taste and distinctive chocolaty flavour. Some other significant characteristics are mentioned below;
- Low acidity level: Dark roast coffee has low acidity levels, which also changes the taste of the coffee.
- Amount of caffeine: It is generally believed that dark roast coffee has a higher amount of caffeine, but in reality, the amount of caffeine depends on how it is measured. If you measure it by weight, caffeine level is higher. On the other hand, if you measure it by volume, caffeine level is lower. Whichever way you choose, the difference is relatively small.
- Flavour: Dark coffee has a bittersweet taste with charcoal undertones. Its flavour is also termed as strong and spicy by some.
- Body: Dark roast coffee is much heavier than light roast coffee. The difference can be understood with the example of water and whole milk.
- Antioxidants: Dark roast coffee has the highest antioxidants levels as its roasting process releases antioxidant content, which is good for your health.
Light Roast Coffee Vs Dark Roast Coffee
- Light roast coffee beans are roasted for a shorter period compared to dark roast coffee.
- Light roast coffee has a higher acidity level, while dark roast coffee has low acidity.
- Another notable difference is that of oil. When light roast coffee beans are roasted, their oil still remains inside the bean because of the less duration of heating and roasting while the dark roast coffee beans release all oil out during the heavy roasting process.
- Light roast coffee has a toasty grain-like taste, whereas dark roast coffee offers a bittersweet taste.
- Lastly, light roast coffee has a fruity flavour compared to dark roast coffee, which has a bold flavour.
Dark Roast Coffee Is Beneficial For Your Physical And Mental Health
Also, dark roast coffee is not all about enriching flavour and source of getting energy. It also provides you with several health benefits that make it a great addition to your diet. Here are some of the top benefits of dark roast coffee:
- A cup of dark roast coffee contains many vitamins like riboflavin, which are essential for the healthy growth and development of your body cells.
- It also helps reduce the risk of multiple types of cancer, such as colorectal cancer.
- Dark coffee also helps lower the risk of several diseases like Parkinson’s disease, dementia and cognitive impairment.
- It is also beneficial for keeping your liver in good shape.
After knowing all the great things about dark roast coffee, you must be thinking about where to get your cup of best tasting coffee from. So, here lies the answer!
Wake Up Coffee Has It All!
From dark roast to, decaffeine coffee beans, we will provide only the best coffee for your employees. Wake Up Coffee is the go-to place for all your coffee needs if you want to enjoy a high-quality coffee with sublime taste to its fullest.
So, are you ready for enjoying the best dark roast coffee?